Things you didn't know about Berlin
Number of rooms
|San Francisco (Zipfian Academy)||1 bedroom||$3,213|
|New York City (Metis; NYC Data Science Academy)||1 bedroom||$3,039|
|Berlin (Data Science Retreat)||1 bedroom + utilities
1 bedroom (in a shared flat)
|$726 (658 EUR)
$497 (450 EUR)
- The local public transportation system is inexpensive at €81.- per 30 days and includes buses, trams, subways, and commuter rail - plus: a great night transportation system guaranteeing mobility 24/7. Also, there are bike paths on most major streets. Bicycles are first-class vehicles.
- Berlin is surrounded by large forests and many lakes suitable for water sports and swimming, and is only 2 1/2 hours from the Baltic Sea. Eating out is very affordable (most restaurants have a daily deal at around 5-7 EUR). The health system is efficient and cost-effective. The top two gym chains each cost about 20 EUR per month.
- Nightlife is spectacular: A thriving electronic music scene, parties that begin Friday night and end Monday morning, taking place in green parks, man-made river-beaches, and abandoned basements and buildings.
- “Silicon Allee” is the area around Torstrasse in Berlin Mitte, the startup hotspot.
- Startup deal flow in Berlin has been on par with London over the past years, and in 2015 the deal flow was just short of €2bn.
- With a strong tech-culture here, you can literally go to a tech meetup every day, with world-class speakers.
- Pretty much everything can be handled in English.
- The big data and machine learning communities are extremely active.